Thursday, January 03, 2008

Rehearsals, The Foreigner

We were supposed to be completely off book today. You would think that having two weeks off would provide enough time to learn lines. Not during the Christmas and New Year holidays. I studied as much as I could, but it was still not enough. Thankfully Stan is an actor himself, so he understood the tall order to be completely off book during the holiday season. He even gave us permission to use scripts if really necessary. I was able to go scriptless for Act One, Scene One. I had to call lines in Act One, Scene Two and ended up picking up my script for my big monologue. I didn't put it down the rest of the night, although I tried not to glance at it if I knew the lines.

Getting off book and stumble-throughs are my most despised part of rehearsal. I'm either forgetting my blocking because I'm too busy concentrating on my lines, or blocking is fine and I can't remember the words. I just feel so inadequate.

Good news, though. For the next several days we will only be rehearsing specific scenes. That means I can spend some quality time reviewing a section at a time. Yikes, tomorrow's rehearsal is the longest scene in the show. I'd better get cracking. If I sleep with my script under my pillow will I be able to magically absorb Catherine's lines?

No comments: