Saturday, January 19, 2008

Auditions, The Velveteen Rabbit

If you've ever visited my Myspace page then you know that The Velveteen Rabbit is my favorite book of all time. As part of this year's New Horizon Series, and in conjunction with the ACT program, The Little Theatre of Winston-Salem will be staging an adaptation of Margery Williams' book. Auditions were this morning, and I was there. As a matter of fact, I was the oldest person there! (Well, except for some of the parents waiting for their kids.) I was amazed by the turn-out. There were small kids up to high school ages. And there were several boys auditioning.

I knew I wouldn't be asked to read for the Rabbit or Skinhorse; those parts would go to the kids. The script calls for 4 narrators who "age" during the course of the show, so I figured I could play Narrator 3 or 4. There's also a Nana.

After playing some "theatre" games to warm up the kids, Ryan grouped us together and we began to read. He hadn't picked a side for Nana, so I mostly read for Narrator 3 and 4. I really was amazed by the talent of some of the kids! Which might mean that I won't get cast at all. There was certainly enough talent to cast the show completely with kids.

It really doesn't matter if I get cast or not. I love working with kids, and I love the story so I thought it would be really fun. Even if I'm not cast, I will see the show.

No comments: