Saturday, January 26, 2008

Read-Thru, The Velveteen Rabbit

This afternoon, we all got together to discuss The Velveteen Rabbit. This production is part of The Little Theatre of Winston-Salem's New Horizon Series, which is a two week festival of stage readings of shows by NC playwrights. Because it is such a wonderful story, we all agreed that we'd like to breathe more life into it than just reading the story on a stage.

After reading through the script, we discussed that even though the Narrators have the majority of lines, the other actors must create their characters physically. They will have to use their body and movement, action, instead of dialogue. So, of course, we had to play some theatre games. How would you walk if you were a rabbit, a horse, a mechanical toy, etc. I am not a fan of these games, but I participate for the kids.

Already, there is one kid who is going to annoy the bejesus out of me. He's the kind of kid who announces to everyone, often while someone else is speaking, that he has no problem learning lines, can speak in a multitude of dialects and voices, and corrects others who have made a mistake. He's also full of ideas. I will admit that he is talented. I just don't think courtesy was part of his upbringing. Maybe I can help him with that?

Mark your calendars now. We will perform March 7 and 8. Performances will be in the lobby of the Arts Council and at the main library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl Ann...
I suppose that if you use the internet enough eventually you run into yourself or at least events that you wouldn't expect. So it would seem in this case.

I have enjoyed reading your comments about The Velveteen Rabbit production and have given some thoughts to come and see the show. I suppose it would be fun for the writer to actually see his work performed/directed by someone other than himself. It would make sense that an NC writer might happen to show up at the door when you're doing a series of readings from work by NC writers....

However, pending that I am not able to do so, I'll make you a deal... If you/or someone else will take half a dozen decent action, or posed, pics during a rehersal and send them to me, I will send you a signed copy of a script. I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know. You can email me at: thatlem@nc.rr.com

Thanks, Todd Hatlem