Wednesday, January 02, 2008

An Afternoon at the (Movie) Theater

I did something today that I haven't done since I was 14 years old. (And I only did it then because I was visiting my cousin who had to work, so I went with her.) I went to see a movie by myself. I went to the 1:30pm showing of P.S. I Love You. It wasn't that I couldn't have gotten someone to go with me. Granted, I would have had to do some heavy begging because it is a chick-flick. At the very least I was pretty sure I could talk Mallorie into going (she's a Gerard Butler fan). But I just really wanted to go alone, especially considering where my head was last night.

I will first tell you that my inner voice was correct in advising me to read the book first. The movie was, as most are, different from the book. Holly's brothers, Declan and John, were not in the movie. Her father wasn't either. (The backstory was that he left when Holly was a teen.) Holly's mother was given a prominent role in the movie, and even a name change! Kathy Bates was great as Patricia, the newly named mom. Harry Connick, Jr. played Daniel and the movie pretty much stayed true to his character. I was surprised by Gina Gershon's performance as Holly's best friend Sharon. Lisa Kudrow was Lisa Kudrow playing Denise, Holly's other best friend. I was pleasantly surprised to see James Marsters on the silver screen, playing Sharon's husband to boot. (Though honestly I liked him much better as Spike.) William, played by a very sexy Jeffrey Dean Morgan, was added to the movie. Holly ends up having a one-night stand with him while she and friends are in Ireland on vacation. While I absolutely love Jeffrey Dean Morgan, his character was just not appropriate. I was not very impressed with Hilary Swank's portrayal of Holly. I was very impressed with Gerard Butler's portrayal of Gerry. He's ruggedly handsome, quite sexy, and he's a voice that can melt butter. And I was so glad to hear him sing! Lord, he just makes me smile!

Fortunately, seeing the movie dispelled my pondering from last night. The movie just did not elicit the same emotion in me as the book. And that was just fine. At least for now.

No comments: