Friday, January 25, 2008

Greetings from jetBlue!

From: Dusty
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:04 pm
Things in jetBlue land are still great. After the big emergency equipment test snafu where most of the class failed, we had our retake on Monday. The test before that I made a 97 and the last test we had I made a 90.

Today we had our evacuation drill tests and I was lucky enough (being sarcastic here) to have been given the Embraer simulator for my demo and an unplanned water ditching. The sarcasm - because water ditchings have more command words to yell plus you have to put on your life vest and do some additional things to the slides. (In the simulator, you have to 'pretend' with the slides as they don't activate them for this drill.) On these drills you would have been given either a ditching or a unplanned land evacuation (crash) with an added bonus like a pregnant lady at the slide or the slide was too steep, etc. You had to be on top of your game to call out the correct command.

Anyway, mine started off a bit rocky- I was in the back of the E190 (FA#2) and it was my second time doing a water ditching. I started off my evacuation ok- the commands were coming out good (not tongue tied). I had a bit of a time getting my life vest on as well as placing my hands on the aft handle in order to open the entry door... and I also forgot to inflate the pretend 'slide' too. hahaha. But by the time I got to the service door I knew it wasn't going well and I gave up and called it quits so I could do it over. I did it over and passed. Nothing major - many people got it on their 2nd try.

Now we have just 2 tests left and we're done! It's hard to believe that next Wednesday I'll be getting my wings. Wow. A new hire class started yesterday - about 90 new Inflight Crewmembers! Woo-hoo! 2nd class for 2008 and now my senority has been upped a bit! haha.

Lots of hugs and love,
Dusty

No comments: