Tuesday, January 01, 2008

An Afternoon at the (Movie) Theater

Mallorie, me and a friend of mine headed to The Grand theater earlier this afternoon to see Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It was awesome!

I've been familiar with the music from the Broadway musical. "Pretty Women" and "Not While I'm Around" are two of my all-time favorite songs. And I saw the Piedmont Players' beautifully staged production almost 10 years ago. Still, watching the movie was like listening to the story for the first time.

In my opinion, Johnny Depp is one of the most talented actors of our time. I've always been impressed with his work. His Sweeney left me even more so. And I must give him his due with his singing. With no formal training he took quite a chance, and it paid off. While some of his razor poses were reminiscent of Edward Scissorhands, he never let us forget Sweeney or his inner torment.

Helena Bonham Carter, on the other hand, was terrible. I don't believe a word of the interviews in which Tim tries to convince us that Helena was awarded the role based on merit. Yeah, she looks the goth part. But her acting was hallow and singing was awful. I'm sure being Tim's partner, pregnant with his child, had nothing what-so-ever to do with her being cast. I will not be convinced that there is that much of a shortage of more talented actresses.

Alan Rickman was glorious. I just love watching him. And I loved his "Pretty Women" duet with Depp. I was very impressed with Ed Sanders who played Toby. What a beautiful voice! No one knows much about him now, but I'd bet he's got a long career ahead of him.

Mallorie received the movie book and the soundtrack for Christmas. I can't wait to sit down with her and leaf through the book while listening to the CD!

No comments: