Friday, August 11, 2006

Surprise for Mallorie

After months of procrastination, I finally decided to work on Mallorie's room. I figure it will be easier to paint and move furniture while she is away. And I'm hoping to give her a nice surprise when she comes back on Monday.

The theme for her room is theater. Back in February I had some paint custom made to match the yellow in a Playbill. Only two walls will be painted yellow; the other walls will be white. Curtains, comforter, etc. will be black. Back this summer I mounted a "Wicked" and "Phantom of the Opera" poster on black foam board. The posters will go on her walls along with other show ads/programs that she's worked on.

I headed to Target and was lucky enough to find exactly what I wanted. I found these really cool curtains that you can tie up to make it look like a theater curtain. And they matched perfectly to her new black comforter and pillow shams.

Next I headed to Home Depot for some white paint. I didn't figure on the 25 different shades of white to choose from. I spend a good 20 minutes taking out all the white paint swatches and comparing them. I finally decided on Ultra Pure White (it was the whitest of all the whites) and handed the card to the clerk as I asked for a gallon. "What kind of enamel do you want?" Excuse me? Enamel? Isn't that the stuff on your teeth? Really, I just need a gallon of the Ultra Pure White. The clerk pointed to a list of enamel options. "Ah, it's for a bedroom so I guess eggshell enamel is what I need?" I walked out of Home Depot with a gallon of Ultra Pure White in eggshell enamel praying that I had bought the right stuff.

Approximately four hours ago I began painting Mallorie's room. Well, it took about an hour to pile her furniture in the middle of her room and then tape off windows, baseboards and ceiling. So, three hours ago two of her peachy vanilla walls became Playbill Yellow. Wow! It certainly is bright! And it's definitely yellow! I love the color and I think Mallorie will like it as well.

I've got choreo review tomorrow at NCSA, set construction and a hair appointment at 3:30p. (The red highlights I had in January have faded, so I'm getting it done again.) I'm not sure when I will find the time to get into the white wall painting...

No comments: