Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Perfect Lead Actress

I just read Heather Hamby's latest blog entries, and I must say, she is an extraordinary person.

Heather, of course, is our lead in "Debbie Does Dallas". The media "frenzy" seems to have been singularly focused. You've seen her licking that huge lolly in all the photos, you've heard her interviewed on WFDD radio, you've read her name in the Journal "review".

As the lead actress, she certainly is entitled to this "top spot" in the media. And we've all seen and read about how catty lead actresses can be. But Heather isn't at all a "stereotypical" lead. What sets her apart is her big heart. From her blog:
I absolutely hate that I have been the only one mentioned in pretty much every single article. It is unfortunate because everyone is working their tails off.

In my opinion, I have to say that the show is awesome. It is very funny and everyone is so great in their roles. Emily is amazing as Lisa and I love her singing God Must Love a Fool maybe even more than Mary Catherine (from the original cast). Teresa, Rebecca, and Cheryl Ann take their moments and run with them. That is to me, the primary reason that the show is so funny. Teresa particularly is a riot in her candle scene and with all her "Oh shit" moments. I still can't bring myself to look directly at Rebecca during her banana scene. I'm worried I will totally lose it and not be able to finish the show, but judging from the reaction of the audience they loved that scene and I'm sure the site of the rest of us in banana costumes doesn't hurt. Cheryl Ann delivers some of the funniest lines in the show with some real punch. I love the brief scene that we have after the Bang Bang cheer. It is so great to work with such an awesome actress. The guys get tons of kudos because they do a majority of the work by changing costumes every 3 seconds. I said it last night, but I will say it again that I think Ken Ashford is one of, if not, my favorite actor to work with. I've never seen anyone who was funnier onstage and to be able to share that stage with him is just a blessing. David is so very funny as Rick. I tend to take him for granted because I have work with him for so long, but he really is a great performer and his I Wanna Do Debbie solo is just perfect. Derrick may be the funniest person ever. He is really so great in every single one of his roles and he makes them all so incredibly different. I'm very glad to be doing a show where I get to work with a wonderful combination of old friends that I have been on stage with many a time and new friends who I otherwise would have never met. It is a shame that no one has taken time to give them the praise they deserve.

Heather, your sentiments mean so much more than you know! You're beautiful and I love ya!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm really glad to work with people who aren't catty about it either. I understood only talking to me and Jamie on the radio because you just can't fit 7 people in that little recording room, but there was no excuse for not interviewing more people for the newspaper and at least mentioning cast names in the review. At least David got a little quote in the Journal.

But the show is definitely NOT carried by my character except for the singing of which I do far too much. The story is completely carried by you guys. And all my favorite lines are from the other girls.

My favorite you say..."We never even tried a bake sale." Riot!