Friday, November 30, 2007

A Book Report

Last week, as I was organizing my nightstand drawer, I ran across True Believer. I had totally forgotten I even had it. Since the premise was intriguing, I decided to go ahead and read it. I've read a few books by Nicholas Sparks and knew that I was in for a really good read. Well...I guess my expectations were a bit too high. I usually use a half box of Kleenex while reading a Sparks novel. Or perhaps the title is a bit misleading.

Jeremy Marsh is a New York City journalist who specializes in debunking myths and other supernatural phenomenon. His reputation has earned him an invitation to Boone Creek, a small town in North Carolina, to investigate a haunted cemetery. Based on the book title, I thought he would come to believe that some phenomenon simply can't be explained away. Nope. He did discover the real cause for the lights that appeared during foggy nights in the sinking cementary.

While in town, Jeremy fell in love with Lexie, the local librarian. Unfortunately their relationship ended by the end of the week as Jeremy had no desire to move to Boone Creek and Lexie didn't want to live in NYC. The only "true believer" was Doris, Lexie's grandmother, who flew to NY in the midst of a snowstorm to talk sense into Jeremy. What followed was a predictible and Kleenex-free ending.

1 comment:

The O'Brien Family said...

Oh! I'm so glad to hear you say this! I started the book on our Alaskan cruise, and never finished it. I mean, I had a beautiful balcony, was wrapped up in blankets, and just ready for a good book! I couldn't get into it at all! Glad to know I didn't miss anything.