Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Something Worth Bragging About

For the last two years "Report Card Day" was not an especially good day for me or Mallorie. I've always tried to instill the importance of the effort, and not necessarily the sole importance of the grade. I mean, I've worked my tush off before just to earn a D. I'm okay if Mallorie "earned" a D. I'm not okay with "getting" a D because you haven't turned in homework or studied for tests.

Mallorie's high school principal had called to remind all parents that Tuesday, November 6 was "Report Card Day". From the moment Mallorie left in the morning, I was dreading her return.

She got in and immediately came down to see me. I looked at her poker face and as my stomach flipped I held out my hand. She gave me her report card. Two A's (PE and Theatre Arts), four B's (Algebra, Civics, Honors English and French) and one C (Chemistry). I was elated! No D's or F's! "Look at the second page," she instructed. I turned the page and almost fell on the floor! She made the Honor Roll.

Mallorie stood before me just beaming. Honor Roll had been a complete shock to her as well. I congratulated her and gave her a big hug. I told her I was absolutely proud of her. And for the first time in too long a time, I also saw pride on her own face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mallorie! Tell her to keep up the good work!
Bill

The O'Brien Family said...

Congratulations, Mallorie! I'm proud of you, too. Way to go!

I'm dreading when we get to the point that report cards have actual grades on them. Allie is still in the O and S stage, and I'm very thankful for that!