Friday, November 09, 2007

Opening Night, Steel Magnolias

Last night we opened Steel Magnolias, the third production for Clemmons Community Theatre. We had about 50 or so for our first audience. And for an opening Thursday audience they were very responsive.

Our first scene went very well. I was able to remember all my lines, and even added a few extra words to some of my dialogue. (i.e. "Jackson's a good ole Southern boy from a good ole Southern family with good ole Southern values....")

The scene change from 1.1 to 1.2 took forever. I'm dealing with a complete costume change, while Lee Ann is changing and digging baby's breath and bobby pins out of her hair. We nailed our "I'm pregnant" scene, which is one of my favorite scenes. Further on into the scene I'm on the couch reading a magazine when Lee Ann delivers a line and I suddenly realize I'm not usually on the couch at that point. As I moved to the chair, I was trying to figure where I got off on my blocking. Lee Ann had actually jumped about a page and a half. As she made her exit, we realized that she hadn't announced her pregnancy to the group and our remaining dialogue centered around that theme. I could feel all of us thinking of how to cover. Finally Carole said her next line and I covered by asking "Truvy" if she'd overheard our earlier conversation. It worked fine; the audience never realized the jump.

Act Two went off without any major blunders. Charis and I had the audience crying with both of our monologues. At the height of my tender monologue, just as I was taking a breath, one of the ladies sitting in the front row dropped her program. It made a loud noise and almost broke the moment. Still I heard a few sniffles and was pleased that I had accomplished my task as an actress.

I was extremely proud of Mallorie. She was so very nervous at the top of the show, since this show marks her debut as stage manager. She gave time warnings and called places. The light and sound cues were on time. She did an outstanding job. I think this is the beginning of a long career for her.

We've 6 more performances so you've plenty of time to get your tickets!

No comments: