Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Arrow

Sunday evening Ken mentioned that Arrow, one of his beloved dogs, was missing part of his ear. He wasn't sure if Bo, Arrow's bigger brother, bit it off or whether Arrow fought with a neighbor's dog or caught his ear on a fence. Worrying Ken further was the fact that Monday was the first day back to work after having 4 days off so he wasn't sure he'd be able to take Arrow to the vet before Tuesday. Since Arrow and I get along pretty well, I offered to take him to the vet. Arrow's appointment was at 3:30pm yesterday.

Once in the examination room, I was asked questions I couldn't really answer. After all, Arrow wasn't my dog. I had no clue about his ear other than it looked slightly chewed. I hadn't looked for the missing ear piece. (Ewwwwww!) And I didn't know if he had this shot or that shot. I felt like a bad pet owner, yet all I was doing was bringing in my friend's dog.

The vet took Arrow into the back to give him updated shots and bandage his ear. When she brought him back I started laughing. It wasn't a jovial laugh but more of a pity laugh. Arrow's entire head, save one ear, was bandaged. Arrow immediately sat down and started to scratch off the bandage. After a brief discussion, the vet and I decided to put Arrow in an e-collar. Arrow was none too happy.

On the drive back to Arrow's house, he sat, uncomfortably, in the front seat giving me the most pitiful eyes I've ever seen. He not only lost part of his ear, he was lamenting the loss his dignity too. Luckily it won't be for long. We go back to the vet on Wednesday to have the e-collar and bandages removed.

No comments: