Friday, November 16, 2007

Performance, Steel Magnolias

Since I do my make-up and wig at home, I've got plenty of time backstage, once I get into costume. We were chatting and I was admitting that I wasn't feeling very M'Lynnish. I mean, I knew (well, prayed) that I would give a good performance, I just didn't feel like M'Lynn. That is, until Mallorie came back to tell me that Barbara and Allan were in the audience.

Hearing that two people I knew were seeing the show (especially Barbara and Allan) caused my sleeping butterflies to awaken. I was very nervous as I step onto the stage and uttered my first few lines. I could hear Barbara laughing and from there, I was fine. And I was able to get back into character.

After our curtain call, I yanked off my mic and went into the house to see Barbara and Allan. They weren't there. I asked Mallorie if they had already left, and she said she wasn't sure they were there for the second act. I was afraid they were offended at one of my lines and left during intermission. You see, Barbara is Italian. During the opening scene I explain that we were served "Dago Pie" for dessert during the wedding rehearsal dinner. I must admit that knowing Barbara was in the audience I seriously thought about changing that reference. But, as an actress, I have to remain true to the playwright's script. I quickly decided to downplay it.

The rest of the show went well. We are really rocking, having found a very nice pace. If you haven't seen the show, we have a 2pm matinee and an 8pm performance tomorrow.

No comments: