Saturday, November 03, 2007

TV Interview, Steel Magnolias

This morning the cast of Steel Magnolias began our promo tour. We had a TV interview scheduled for 7:30a with WXII.

I headed over to the studio with plenty of time before our 7:15am call time. I pulled in and pressed the buzzer, as we had been instructed to do. All I needed to do was identify myself as a cast member and I'd be permitted through the automatic gate. Well, I pressed the buzzer and waited. I pressed again and waited. And waited. Lee Ann pulled in behind me. I kept pressing the buzzer and we kept having to wait. I know we were out there for ten minutes! A group of ladies exited the studio and were headed to their cars. They informed Lee Ann that WXII was short staffed this morning and no one was manning the gate. So as the gate opened to let them out, Lee Ann and I snuck in. We were the last ones to arrive and Norm and the cast had been worried.

The morning producer came to advise that Norm would do most of the talking, and they wanted a 30 second scene from the show. We decided to use the closing dialogue of Act 1, scene 1 since all 6 of us are on stage and have lines. The scene starts with Shelby's line and Lee Ann was a bit nervous to be starting. We practiced and it went fine.

At about 7:40a the anchor came in to the room and quickly said hello. The camera person set up and the boom mic was lowered. We could see Norm on the TV in the corner. The anchor asked a couple of questions which Norm answered beautifully. Then came our scene.

The scene went fine. I went up on my last line but covered it pretty well. Well, at least the viewing audience won't know I flubbed. I walked up to Lee Ann and laughed as I told her that even seasoned actresses screw up. I hope knowing that helps her feel less pressured.

Next stop on the promo tour - WFBJ radio station on Tuesday.

No comments: