Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tricked...For the Better

Ken came over last night to babysit a sleeping Cade while I trekked to K'Vegas to pick-up Mallorie. I asked him to come over early, and he brought a stack of movies. Among them was Life Is Beautiful.

I had never seen the movie and vaguely remember hearing people talk about it. I understood that those that had seen the movie really loved it; the majority counting it among their top favorite movies of all time. Ken nodded and told me that I would like it as well. "It's a chick flick," he reassured.

Well, I'm not sure what Ken's definition of chick flick is, but mine is "romantic comedy". Yes, the first half of the movie was, in essence, a chick flick. The last half of the movie was not. I sat paralyzed, with dread eating away at my stomach. By the end of the movie I was openly weeping. No other movie has made me cry to that extent.

After using several Kleenex, I chided Ken for not better preparing me. Still, I admit he made the right choice in not telling me more about the movie. If I had known half the movie was akin to Schindler's List I wouldn't have wanted to watch. I'm glad I did. And I, too, will count Life Is Beautiful among my most favorite movies of all times.

No comments: