Saturday, September 08, 2007

BOOKMARKS Book Festival - Amy Sedaris

Are you lacking direction on how to whip up a swanky soiree for lumberjacks? A dinner party for white-collar workers? Don’t despair. Take a cue from entertaining expert Amy Sedaris and host an unforgettable fete that will have your guests raving. No matter the style or size of the gathering – from the straightforward to the bizarre – I LIKE YOU: Hospitality Under the Influence — provides recipes and solid advice laced with Amy’s blisteringly funny take on entertaining. An entertaining book on entertaining from America’s most delightfully unconventional hostess.
One of my main reasons for attending this year's Bookmarks Festival was to catch Amy Sedaris. I'd read a review of her latest book, and, after listening to her on NPR, I really wanted to hear her speak.

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear her presentation. Cade and I sat just outside, because the tent where she was presenting was overflowing with people. The speakers had mics so I was hoping that we would at least hear her. We couldn't so Cade and I gave up and went over to judge a Porshe contest. Tony met us over at the cars and when I found out Amy was finished, I quickly got in line to have her sign my book. (Unfortunately there were still 5 million people ahead of us.)

A Festival volunteer went down the line explaining that we needed to write, neatly, what we wanted Amy to write in our books on a post-it note. "Like, to my bestest friend in the whole wide world?" I asked the volunteer as she handed my the post-it note. She replied with an affirmative nod of her head and moved down the line (to the 5 people standing behind us). Tony made a suggestion that initially made me wrinkle my nose and reply "Ewwww." But after tossing around other ideas, I settled on his original one (with a bit of tweaking from Mike Burke). Here's Amy writing on the blue ghosty page, "To Cheryl Ann - So sorry I puked on your tablecloth." Amy added "Good Times!"

Amy also graciously agreed to let Ken take a photo of the two of us. Here we are, both a hot sweaty mess, at the end of a very long and hot day.

No comments: