Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Auditions, Steel Magnolias

Any Southern actress worth her salt has performed in a production of Steel Magnolias. I've auditioned for the show 3 times within the last few years, and as of yet, I've not been successful in getting cast. Five years ago I was young enough to read for Annelle (Daryl Hannah played the role in the movie) and Shelby (Julia Roberts). Two years ago a director added Truvy (Dolly Parton) to my readings. Now, at 38 chronological years of age, I'm in middle hell. This is where I'm too old to play the young roles, but too young to play the older roles! Still, Clemmons Community Theatre is producing the show, which is practically in my back yard. Norm Birdsall is directing and I've worked with him before. So I headed over to auditions earlier tonight.

Mimi, who was in Daddy's Dying with me, was there, as well as Leeann, who was in God's Favorite with Ken. Ally came and we chatted about the Nuts fiasco. Carole showed up and we chatted for a bit. Four other ladies showed up; I didn't know them.

Norm asked Mimi and I to read first. We read a M'Lynn/Shelby scene, and then Norm had us switch parts and reread the scene. Mimi read M'Lynn well and I was very comfortable reading Shelby. When we switched parts both Mimi and I fumbled over lines. I redeemed myself when Norm asked me to do another scene as Shelby. Overall I thought I did okay. Based on the women who were at auditions tonight, I've actually got a good shot at Shelby, but, as it was the second night of auditions, I've no idea who might have shown up yesterday.

After auditions, Ally, Mimi and I headed to Applebee's for some chick chat. It was so nice just hanging out with them. They are both very funny storytellers and I was in stitches all night.

I just got home a bit ago and thought I would check my email to see if, by chance, Norm sent an email. No such luck. Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow. Hopefully he will let us know, either way, and soon.

No comments: