Friday, September 07, 2007

A Little Boy and His Bus, Part 3

I have had it!! Is it just me? Are other parents having as many problems with their kids' buses? Do I need to go down to the central office and key in Cade's afternoon bus so he will appear on the fricking sheet?

I was out running errands this afternoon and returned to the bus stop at approximately 2:25p, which is when the school dismisses classes. Cade's bus drops him home at 2:33p. (Well, the few times he's been correctly dropped off it's been 2:33p.) Although it was hot I was in a good mood. As soon as Cade was to get off the bus, we were headed to Wal-Mart to get him a new lunchbox.

I watched as Bus 1234 turned right onto the street up from mine. It was a very old looking bus, and I remember wondering if it was a substitute bus. (For some reason I always equate 4-digit bus numbers as being the sub buses.) I watched Bus 5678 hang a right out of the neighboring development, headed toward downtown. I watched Bus 10 as it buzzed by me. My hair actually trailed after it. Bus 10 is the newest of the new buses. Nice bright yellow paint and aerodynamically designed. I remember thinking it was a very nice looking bus. I watched more buses pass by. I checked my cell phone - 2:37p. In the real world 4 minutes wouldn't mean anything. In the absolute hell of school bus transportation, 4 minutes means something is wrong, very wrong.

I started pacing, trying to keep myself calm. I went back to bus watching. Now I can't even remember the bus numbers. All I remember is that none of the buses that passed were Cade's bus. Cell phone - 2:40p.

I am on the verge of a full mental explosion, when I happen to notice a bus, coming in the opposite direction, is slowing down and has the flashing lights on. It's Bus 10. Why is this pretty new bus stopping? The pneumatic doors open, and out pops Cade, grinning from ear to proverbial ear. For the second time this week, my mouth falls open and I am dumbstruck. Regaining voice, I look at the bus driver and say, "Bet he wasn't on the sheet". (Cue insane laughter.)

Update - I still have no idea why Cade was on Bus 10. All I can get out of him was that the new bus was awesome.

No comments: