Monday, February 18, 2013

Last Night's Feature

Martha Marcy May Marlene is a powerful psychological thriller starring Elizabeth Olsen as Martha, a young woman rapidly unraveling amidst her attempt to reclaim a normal life after fleeing from a cult and its charismatic leader (John Hawkes). Seeking help from her estranged older sister Lucy (Sarah Paulson) and brother-in-law (Hugh Dancy), Martha is unable and unwilling to reveal the truth about her disappearance. When her memories trigger a chilling paranoia that her former cult could still be pursuing her, the line between Martha's reality and delusion begins to blur. -- (C) Fox Searchlight

I saw the previews for this movie early last year and immediately added it to my Netflix queue. Cult movies have always fascinated me and the preview really drew me in.

While I do agree that Elizabeth Olsen gave a very good performance, this movie is not a “powerful psychological thriller” and there was no “rapidly unraveling.” It was a rather boring story, at times extremely tedious, with a very abrupt ending.

I found it laughable that Marcy May would happily prepare a drugged drink for the new recruit’s “special night” with the leader, participate in several home invasions and then “unravel” at seeing a man stabbed (all assume to death). The cult allows Marcy May to leave and up until the (possible) murder Marcy May is content.

The filming is beautiful and simple. Still, I was disappointed as I was hoping for something more meaty.

No comments: