Saturday, February 16, 2008

An Evening at the Theatre

Last night, Mikey and I attended Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance's opening night performance of Southern Baptist Sissies. If you haven't made plans to see the show, you really should.

I agree largely with the Journal's review. Bryan Daniel was outstanding, as was Gray Smith. Gray is an extremely talented actor and can very well pull off impersonations of Wynonna, Cher, and Tammy Wynette. However, in my opinion these added characters interrupted the overall flow of the show. Jay Smith and Mason Reich both played repressed gay characters, and I caught myself waiting for both of them to power up. Mason, especially held back on his performance. He would have been wonderful if he had just let go a bit more. Kevin Mundy and Kelly Wallace were refreshing and hysterical as Peanut and Odette. Danya Benson brought 4 different mothers to believable life.

For religious, straight, and/or gay members of the audience, the play spoke powerfully, as evidenced by quiet sniffling. And I'll admit, some of the sniffles were mine.

No comments: