Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Night at the Theatre

We just finished seeing Kernersville Little Theatre's production of Just Kidding. As a VP and Board Member of KLT, I should write only the positive things about the production. However, I want to be true to myself and the purpose of this blog; to be as honest as best I can with my experiences. Having said that, I was absolutely disappointed.

The show suffered from major pacing problems. Some of these problems stemmed from a lackluster audience of 87 and some stemmed from particular actors. Kay Ward, who played Sandra Rogers, was one such actor. As soon as she stepped on-stage the air left the room. She desperately needed some cheese to go with her whine! Geez. Yes, I originated Sandra in Burlington, but I assure you, this is not a case of sour grapes. Two minutes into the show, Mallorie whispered, "Mom, you were soooo much better."

I'd like to blame Kay's performance for Stephen Swoap's portrayal of Calvin Rogers. Actors feed off each other and Stephen looked like he was starving. I could see a great deal of potential in his Calvin, but it was a lack of energy that killed his character. Even his "fight" scene with Scott Spencer (who played brother-in-law Wayne Maybrie) looked, well, staged.

Macon Shirley had the honor of playing the best, and funniest, role in Just Kidding. Unfortunately, he never quite rose to the occasion. I simply don't understand how a gay man who is playing a gay man can look so fake. Several times during the show I wanted to go up and yell at him to "Stop acting!! Just be yourself!!"

Scott Spenser and Karen Price-Crowder (who played stage mother Jessica Finch) were as good as they always are. Luke Van Hine was also good as nephew Todd Maybrie. Morgan Robbins was very good as fake daughter, Claire, and her 'sunrise, sunset' was appropriately bad. Jean Burr could have been better as Monique, if only Macon had given her more. The best performance was by Chuck Powers who played Officer Chris Gentry. Perhaps not too ironic is his striking resemblance to KLT regular, Dick Strohemier.

Disappointment aside, I am crossing my fingers that the pacing problems can (and will) be overcome. Just Kidding is a really cute show, perfect for community theatre and community theatre audiences.

No comments: