Thursday, February 21, 2008

A Celebration of Life

Mikey and I went to David's memorial service tonight. Due to the new Greensboro by-pass, we ended up arriving 30 minutes late. We missed hearing David's father speak, and pictures of David when he was a child. We did get to see other slideshows of David as a teenager and adult, hear stories from his high school chorus teacher, listen to beautiful songs sung by Jean Marie Buckley, Danielle Blakeman, Jonathan Cobrda, Kim Harrison, Neil Sheppard, Craig Richardson, Mitchell Sommers and Jordan Legaux. Vanessa Martinez performed a dance to "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast.

With the assistance of other grieving people, I was finally able to let go of my anger. I smiled, and even laughed, at some of the memories, and I let my tears flow freely. Tonight I realized how truly blessed I was to have had the opportunity to have called David my friend.

*********************************************
In December, David would write a poem and send to all his friends. I was lucky to have received this email two years ago. Karen Wray recited it at the memorial service.

Oh December
Yet again upon the land you descend
With pinkish hues of morning sun
Catching last the leaves of amber and gold

Upon me you dawn again
And pause with reflection do I
On moments since last you saw me
And beheld I the season nigh

And though I dwell in new abode
Far from loved ones of blood and soul
Oh December, you still find me
As does their love find my heart

As I unbox the glistening orbs
To deck new halls this time of year
Occurs to me a thought profound
And my soul it warms indeed

That changed though the place may be
The inner reaches of who I am
In truth and in dream, remain steadfast
As do my memories of all

All that upon my path with me have trod
All that have loved, cried and fought with me
All that shaped me, in ways small and grand
Oh December, you dawn upon them as well

Hence dear friends again a glass I raise
And dear friends, a prayer I raise
That your December with joy be filled
Until meet again we do in days to come

12/02/2006
DEW

No comments: