Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Rehearsals, Steel Magnolias

Our director, Norm Birdsall was in LTWS' production of Smoke on the Mountain. The show closed on Sunday, so we began Steel Magnolias rehearsals on Monday.

I've had a little over a month off from any type of rehearsal, and I was getting pretty used to having my nights free. That said, I was not really looking forward to Monday's rehearsal. The change in my schedule made me a bit grumpy. We blocked the first 20 pages and ran the scene a couple of times. By the end of rehearsal I was excited about the show. My attitude was much better at last night's rehearsal.

We've blocked all of Act 1 and by the end of the week the entire show will be blocked. At times Norm will give us specific blocking and other times he will allow us the freedom to "block" ourselves. I love this style of directing. You've got a general idea of placement, yet you can still let the emotions move you. And the emotions are going to move M'Lynn all over the stage!

No comments: