Monday, October 29, 2007

An Afternoon at the Theatre

Mallorie and I were treated to Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance's production of Little Shop of Horrors. We saw the closing show yesterday afternoon.

I've seen the movie but have never seen the stage show. WSTA's production was outstanding. Gray Smith nailed the character of Seymour. I love watching Gray in action. He is a wonderful actor. I was equally impressed with Cheri Van Loon. With the help of vocalization, blonde wig and floozy costumes, she was spot-on as Audrey. Zack Brown was hysterical as Orin, the dentist. He has grown so much as a actor since Daddy's Dying. Cary Newberry, Emily Snow, Vanessa Martinez and Nichelle Wright were great as the Doo Wap girls. Dennis Raley and Winston Sims as the voice and operator, respectively, of Audrey II were fabulous.

Even though Ken Ashford is a close friend of mine, I can give an unbiased opinion of his performance. I was absolutely impressed with his Mr. Mushnik. I have seen Ken in many shows, but I have never seen him so energetic! This was his best role, by far. He gave a showstopping performance in "Mushnik & Son" and his tango with Seymour was priceless. I only wish Mr. Mushnik hadn't been the first to end up as plant food.

The only thing I didn't like about the show was the curtain call. Having seen many of Jamie's shows, and having been in a few myself, the curtain call is usually a performance in and of itself. Not so with this show.

Mallorie and I thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon with Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance. She even has the t-shirt to prove it!

No comments: