Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ohmigod, You Guys!

Of course I watched it. I also DVR'd it so I can watch it again (and again, and again, and again), though MTV will be showing an encore presentation tomorrow night.

I did not like the three girls who were "hosting" the event. Two were blonde and one wore pink. (Didn't the other two get the pink memo?) All three were stiff and dull. It's almost as if they had no clue that Broadway even exists! Go back to The Hills and stay there!

The opening number was fabulous. You could hear the audience clapping and cheering. It almost felt like you were in the theatre with them, but with much better seats! I applauded after the opening number and from upstairs Mallorie yelled, "You know they can't hear you!" She was just jealous. For several months she's pooh poohed the musical and turned up her nose. I didn't ask her if she wanted to watch since she was grounded. But she must have been listening at the top of the stairs. Even though I was recording it, I lifted the TV ban and Mallorie watched the show with me.

I wasn't really impressed with Laura Bell Bundy's performance, though I'm not sure I can put my finger on why. Jamie Lawson saw the show in New York a week ago and he wasn't impressed either. He thought she phoned in her performance. During the "Serious" number I felt like she was, well, acting.

I loved the "What You Want" number, though I was not overly impressed with the choreography. (I mean, have you seen a Jamie Lawson curtain call?) And while Laura Bell Bundy kept up with the dance moves, she isn't a dancer. Still, the number was energizing. I applauded, Mallorie beamed.


Next was a commercial and that kinda threw me. I guess I was expecting it to be uninterrupted, like real Broadway shows. There were some backstage pans of the cast warming up. Fun facts were mentioned (Paulette and the UPS man are married in real life) and secrets were explained (Elle underdresses her proposal outfit).

I was highly impressed with Michael Rupert. He commanded the stage from the moment his Callahan began singing "Blood In The Water". I usually skip through that song, but not anymore!

Christian Borle was Emmett. I mean, really, he became that character. I love his "Chip On My Shoulder". I had a hard time with Richard H. Blake, who plays Warner. He was good, but every time he was on stage I keep thinking he looked like the son of actor Gary Cole. Kate Shindle was wonderful as Vivienne. And I'd let Nikki Snelson whip me into shape any day. The jump rope choreography for "Whipped Into Shape" was incredible.

Overall, Mallorie and I absolutely loved it. (Although, if you ask Mallorie she'll probably deny it. She's a reputation to protect apparently.)

No comments: