Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Weekend at the Whorehouse

Yes I spent the weekend working at Whorehouse. What? No, I wasn't doing that kind of work. I worked box (office), sold treats (at intermission) and passes (season tickets). Come on, now. Get your mind out of the gutter.

After and in between all that working, I was able to watch the show. The guys in this production clearly outperformed the girls. The Aggie Song was the best dance number, by far. Mason Reich, the guy in the promo poster, owned this number.

Gesh Metz was Mona, the proprietor of the Chicken Ranch. While she is a very talented singer, I just didn't get the sense that she really understood her character. There was no rapport between her and her "girls", nor with Sheriff Ed Earl Dodd. (And it's Mona's relationship with the Sheriff that allows the Chicken Ranch to remain open!)

I'm not a prude by any means, but even I was shocked at the gratuitous sex act simulations leading into the act one finale. Jamie threw out the theatre adage that "less is more" and went classless and tawdry. I'm pretty sure I was witness to how some of the actors' kids were conceived.

Mark Armstrong, as the Bandleader and other characters, was fabulous. (I've come to expect nothing less from him!) Ken Ashford's Governor number was rousting and energetic.

It was Mikey Wiseman's "Good Ole Girl" number that brought tears to my eyes. He is a very talented singer and he absolutely nailed the song and the Sheriff's emotion. I kept wishing Gesh could have risen to the same occasion.

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
was certainly an entertaining show. Unfortunately, I was left disappointed.

No comments: