Sunday, May 18, 2008

An Afternoon at the Theatre

Yesterday at the KLT Volunteer Appreciation Picnic, I was able to catch up with Michael Carter, who has played my on-stage husband more times than I care to count. I was initially thrilled to learn that my current favorite script Almost, Maine was being produced. When I told him how much I loved the show, and how much I wanted to be in the show, he smiled slyly. He was in the show, in fact had a performance that night! When he saw my disheartened look, he quickly offered me a comp ticket.

I've just returned from the Open Space Cafe Theatre where I saw the closing performance of Almost, Maine. All in all I loved the show.

Michael Moore and Michael Carter played the male roles. Stephanie Gray and Shelly Segal played the female roles. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes with Moore and Gray, especially the "Story of Hope". Segal wasn't as strong an actress, though she and Carter did well in "Seeing the Thing". Carter's performances in this show, especially in "They Fell" has been the best I've seen of his work.

I was pleasantly surprised that Juan Fernandez directed the show. I've not seen Juan since he directed me in The Curious Savage in 2004. When I asked him what was his next project he told me he was directing Blithe Spirit for Open Space in the fall. Since that's another favorite show, I told him to keep me posted on auditions.

No comments: