Wednesday, May 28, 2008

An Evening at the Theatre

Earlier tonight Ken and headed down to Charlotte to the Belk Theater. We were going to see Twelve Angry Men. I knew Richard Thomas was in the show, and for some reason I thought George Wendt was also in the show. I had read the play last year for the KLT playreading committee and I wondered how the show could be staged. As such, I was excited to be seeing the show.

The ushers immediately made me feel right at "home". I wasn't allowed to bring in my just-purchased-at-their-concession-stand Skittles into the auditorium. So I did what any decent person would do. I put the bag in my purse, snuck them in, and ate them while reading the playbill. How appropriate that I felt a little criminal before the show started.

The set was as you'd expect. A large room containing a table and chairs for twelve, a water cooler, a window, etc. The lights changed as the jurors filed in. Richard Thomas received a round of applause when he entered. And then the play began.

At some point during the show I realized that I was sitting, literally, on the edge of my seat, leaning forward. I had totally forgotten I was watching a play, and became completely wrapped up in the jurors voting on the fate of a young, black boy. I was absolutely enthralled!

On the way home I bored Ken to death by peppering him with questions about trials, courtrooms and jurors. I've never served on a jury, but if Richard Thomas served with me, I'd volunteer!

No comments: