Thursday, June 28, 2007

Dusty's European Tour

For those of you who don't know, this is my little brother, Dusty. Actually, his real name is David. Apparently my dad always wanted to name his son Dusty. My mother, being the proper northener she was, explained that Dusty was a nickname and not a proper name for a person. So they compromised. My brother's legal name is David Michael Roberts. The family calls him Dusty. Though much, much taller than me, my little brother is 22 months younger.

Dusty lives in Silver Springs, Maryland, in a quaint house, drives a really cool SUV, and is the Director of IT with Advamed. His best friend, Alan, shares the house with him. Dusty has lots of friends whom he goes out with frequently. His closet is a combination of work and club clothes. (He is a very trendy dresser!)

He is giving it all up - the house, the job, the clothes, the friends, the American life - to tour through Europe for a year.

Being the big sister, of course I am worried about his decision. What if something should happen to him? What is he going to do for work when he gets back to the States? Where is he going to live? Dusty's decision to sightsee throughout Europe was not an impetuous one. He and Alan have been talking about going for over a year. Each has done extensive research.

Being the big sister, of course I am (a bit!) jealous of his decision. Growing up in Arcadia (a Davidson County township close to Clemmons) I had always thought that I would be the one who would leave the area, travel to exotic locales, and live in some glorious city. The furthest I've lived is Kernersville!

Being the big sister, of course I am very proud of his decision. Very few people actually put plans in motion to make their dreams a reality. I'm proud of my brother for being one of the few.

Being the big sister, of course I love my brother very much. I will be posting his update emails, mainly for my own historical benefit, but also in the event you want to keep up with his journey. Dusty will be blogging about his travels, as well, to his own site. The link is on the right sidebar under the Very Cool People Links header.

No comments: