Saturday, December 16, 2006

Peace on Earth

This is one of my most favoritest (did I just make up a word?) places on earth. It's the Moravian Gift and Book Shop in Old Salem.

Now I've always loved Old Salem, in part to a former flame, but my affinity for this shop was originally my mother's doing. Several years ago she started collecting Pipka Santas, and the Moravian Gift and Book Shop was a 5-star distributor. I'd go over to the shop, usually during the Candle Tea when the shop would remain open later, and spend quite a bit of time trying to pick out a Pipka Santa that Mom didn't already have. The start of my Christmas season began with picking out Mom's gift. I felt peaceful and calm there. Even when there were groups of school children in the shop hastily trying to pick out souvenirs before the bus left, I still felt quiet there. It was like my once-a-year momentary retreat.

So it didn't surprise me in the least when two years later I figured out that Hannah, most likely, went to Salem Academy. My affinity for the Moravian Gift and Book Shop was certainly more understandable. It just felt all the more right when I was there. For the next couple of years my annual pilgrimages to the book shop were tinged with a bit of excitement. Has she been in here? Will I see her in here?

My mom has since stopped collecting Pipka Santas, the book shop has ceased being a distributor and I've since met Hannah. Still, today I went to the book shop. And while there were a great many patrons in the store, there are only 9 shopping days left, I felt as though I was the only one there. I looked at every single Christmas ornament, smiled at and petted every stuffed animal, and read the spine of every book in the shop. For the hour that I was lost there, I was at utter peace.

No comments: