Saturday, December 09, 2006

Hairspray

Last night Ken and I went to see Hairspray. (Yes, this time he remembered the tickets!)

I didn't know much about the show, except that Harvey Weinstein played the mother on Broadway, and that's the same role that John Travolta is portraying for the movie. And I knew that Ricky Lake played the lead on Broadway. If Ken had backed out, I wouldn't have been hurt in the least. I wasn't really excited or looking forward to going. Neither of us were.

We were so glad we sucked it up. I was absolutely blown away, from the moment the curtain rose. I used to think Jamie's curtain calls were something. Imagine Jamie's curtain calls as every single musical number and there were a bunch of them since the storyline involved a local TV dance program, much like American Bandstand. The cast sang and dance and danced and sang. I kept thinking that by the end of the tour, the actress playing Tracy Turnbald would be skinner than a Victoria's Secret model. What a work-out!

The show is, hands down, one of the best shows I've ever seen. If the tour comes through your town, make sure you see it. It's a great show with a great message. And one helluva rockin good time will be had by all.

No comments: