Monday, December 11, 2006

Broadway Weekend Continued...

I think Ken can now check something off his "Things To Do Before I Die" list. We saw Monty Python's Spamalot tonight. I knew that if I didn't accompany Ken, he most likely would not go. So off to Charlotte we coconut shell trotted.

Unlike Friday night's Hairspray, I did know a little something about Spamalot. A former boyfriend was an avid watcher of Monty Python and was prone to spout phrases from the series, usually after drinking. (If memory serves me correctly his favorite phrase had something to do with a penguin sitting atop a television....) To further my Monty Python "education" and to deepen our "love" I sat through "Monty Python's The Holy Grail". He laughed his ass off and I merely tolerated the movie. I just didn't find that kind of humor, well, humorous. A knight who continues to fight after all limbs have been cut off? Oh, come on.

However, tonight I was pleasantly surprised. We had great seats, row D seats 1 and 2 (d'oh, left and not center). The set was outstanding. I was very impressed with all the drops and flyies. The cast was fabulous, except for the Lady in the Lake. I couldn't decide if "she" was a she or a very good female impersonator. And much of the story followed the movie. Well, almost. After Act 3, sorry, Act 2, things got really interesting, and really funny. I actually laughed, several times in fact.

I can truthfully say that I thoroughly enjoyed Spamalot. But please don't make me sit through it again. Unless we can get row D seats 1 and 2 in the center! That alone would make a second seeing worthwhile.

No comments: