Sunday, January 19, 2014

Breakfast at Tiffany's, A Man's Perspective

From: Chris
To: Cheryl Ann
Sent: Sun, Jan 19, 2014 1:39 pm
Subject: Breakfast at Tiffany's

This was a weird movie, and I felt lost during it on several occasions. Realizing it was based on a Truman Capote novel makes that somewhat less surprising. 

I liked the idea of spending a day doing things they'd never done before. 

The characters reminded me of Sally and Cliff in Cabaret, at times.

Mickey Rooney's character is an absurd, racist caricature, and completely unnecessary to the film. 

Initially, I was wondering, Why did she let this guy in her house, why did he stay and why was he so curious?

So much smoke at the party at her house. How did none of them start coughing? And how did she always have a cigarette, even when arrested?

That poor wet cat. :-(
----
There is a wildness, spontaneity and craziness about Holly that made me both annoyed by and attracted to her at the same time. And that realization bothers me somewhat. Maybe I'm like her husband, wanting to nurture the wounded, wild animals that I'll never be able to tame or keep once they're well. Which is just as well, since the taming would likely remove the wonderful aspects that made them special in the first place.

I understand the point the movie was trying to make and the closing scene with Fred/Paul drove that home, though his character was somewhat flat. I didn't see enough of a reason why Holly would be in love with him. Though, the why is probably less important than Holly allowing herself to need anyone or anything.

Most memorable quotes:
"You like me baby, you know you do"

"It's useful being top banana in the shock department."

"I don't want to put you in a cage, I want to love you."

"You call yourself a free spirit, a wild thing, and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself."

No comments: