Friday, January 03, 2014

A Book Report, "Game"

This book is the first book in the Game Trilogy by Swedish author Anders De La Motte. I got this one and the second book, Buzz for free from Netgalley. I've read this one. I'm not sure if I want to read the second one.

The premise is interesting. HP picks up a cell phone he thinks someone left on the train. It's sleek, shiny and state-of-the-art so he fiddles with it before deciding to look for its owner. The phone comes to life and asks HP if he wants to play a game. For stealing a fellow passenger's umbrella, HP will be awarded points. This seemingly harmless prank soon escalates into more egregious stunts, placing HP and others in danger.

I found it very difficult to relate to, or even like, HP. He's an immature stoner without any likable qualities. Continuing to play the Game for the money is certainly understandable, given HP's existence. But the author makes it clear that it's less about the money and more the adrenaline rush he receives from knowing his escapades are being watched and rated. He's an absolutely despicable character.

Ultimately I got sucked into the book. Who is behind the mastering of these Games? Why are these Games important? I'm sure the sequel will move the story toward that unveiling. I just don't know if I care enough about learning the answers.

No comments: