Wednesday, March 03, 2010

SETC Convention, Wednesday

SETC's 61st Annual Spring Convention officially started today! Quiana, Chris and Mark were pretty busy at the Registration Desk. April was busy with her Job Contact and Hardy was with Liz Lerman for our K-12 Institute. I spent most of today drafting the rotation schedule for the Professional Audition staff. I picked up lunch at Arby's and spent the next hour bugging Chris, whose help I desperately needed to print numerous documents.

I was able to meet with Lisa Leonard, the director for our Professional Auditions, after lunch and we discussed plans for the next three days and the staff schedule. She's a bit nervous that she's losing me on Friday and Saturday; she's soooo good for my esteem! I love working with Lisa and the two of us just click. I'll admit that while I'm sad to be leaving Pro Auditions, I'm very much looking forward to actually experiencing this year's Convention. As I discovered last year, when you're on the Pro Aud staff you don't have time to enjoy the Convention. (Last year in Birmingham, AL, we worked 16 hours each of the 3 days of professional auditions!) I also met my roommate, Susan Phillips, who is the manager for the Institute of Outdoor Drama at UNC-Chapel Hill. I liked her immediately!

Since auditionees were scheduled to see the audition space at 8p, I headed up to Bluegrass Ballroom One at 7:30p. Some of the Pro Aud staff were already there, and hugs and laughter abounded. Save one, all the folks who worked Pro Auditions last year returned. They are such a hard-working, professional group of young folks! They immediately got to work circulating amongst the auditionees to be available for the inevitable questions.

After the walk-thru we had our Pro Aud Staff meeting. Lisa asked that I present the rotation schedule, which was new to this staff. I then took everyone on a tour of our facilities, pointing out our Warm Up Room, Holding Room, Callback Room, and the rooms for the Dance Callbacks. (Thank you Betsey for our January field trip!) After the meeting they headed up to Beth's for the Volunteer Reception and I helped April with Job Contact stuff for about an hour.

I popped by the reception, which was breaking up just as I was arriving. I'm now back in my room trying to type quietly so as not to wake Susan!

No comments: