Tuesday, March 02, 2010

SETC Convention, Monday

This time our drive to Lexington, KY was absolutely beautiful as the sun was brightly shining. We decided to forgo Bob Evans hospitality and stopped for lunch at a Travel Plaza, which housed a variety of fast food restaurants. Quiana and I went with KFC, while Chris and April ordered from Burger King. Hardy and Mark, who were taking turns driving the Penske truck, joined us 10 minutes later.

We arrived in Lexington a bit after 5p. By the time the truck pulled in we secured a flat bed cart from the LCC and Dream Team members Ben and Claire joined us to unload. It took us about an hour to get everything off the truck and stored in the appropriate places.

Since we had about an hour before we were scheduled to meet for dinner we all checked into our rooms. I am staying at the Hyatt this time. The bathroom isn't as nice as the one in the Hilton and since I'll be sharing my room beginning Wednesday night, I don't have a king. Still, it's nice and cozy. I had to laugh, though. Usually hotels offer trial sized body lotions, shampoos and conditioners, and the Hyatt was no different. In addition to these staples was a trial sized tube of Aquafresh Extreme Clean toothpaste - the exact same kind I bought at Wal-Mart for this trip!

We met in the Hilton lobby and walked across the street to Desha's for dinner. I ordered a glass of pinot grigio and a pasta dish. The pasta was delicious, even though no one at the table could identify the peculiar shaped, cheese filled pasta. (A cross between farfella pasta and crab ragoon.) Quiana ordered the fish and chips and finally learned that the french fries were actually the "chips".

At 9:30p we left the restaurant and I fully intended to return to my room to relax. Justin, Claire, Ben, Quiana and Chris were headed to Cheapside, where Mondays offered $4.00 martinis. Chris and Ben invited me and I was so flattered to be asked to join the "young people" that I agreed. I did add that I would only stay until 10p.

Five hours and 10 Flirtinis and Lounge Lizards later, our waiter and bartender finally kicked us out after a final round of shots, on-the-house. We all decided to continue the party in the suite Justin, Ben and Claire were occupying for the night. (The suite would be turned over for Tituss Burgess on Wednesday.) We somehow managed to obtain a bottle of red wine and the drink-a-thon continued. Quiana left then returned 10 minutes later, chocolate cookies were discovered and then devoured, and a great deal of wine ended up decorating my white sweater. I eventually returned to my room, at 4 in the morning, a mere 6 hours later than I originally intended.

No comments: