Saturday, March 06, 2010

SETC Convention, Friday

I met Hardy at 6:30 and he introduced me to the Undergrad Audition staff. The Auditions Director, Assistant Auditions Director and Stage Manager all greeted me in the same manner. While they each shook my hand with beauty pageant smiles pasted on their faces, their eyes regarded me with unconcealed suspicion. Pretending not to notice the frigid temperature Hardy explained that I would be around and available to assist them in whatever capacity needed. The Director nodded her head as if to say "okay" and turned her back on us and began conversing with the other two women. Talk about rude! I attended her student briefing and couldn't believe when she made a negative remark about SETC. I mean, hello? Did she not realize she was supposed to be representing SETC? Then during the College/University briefing she offered an apology for the tight quarters... "Evidently Hardy didn't order enough tables." My mouth dropped open. The tight quarters was beyond Hardy's (or even SETC's) control. About an hour later, Steve, one of our Exec Board Members, was introducing me to some of the undergraduate auditions volunteers. The three ladies were talking at the other end of the table. After the introductions Steve says aloud, "So, I understand you will be running these auditions next year." The 3 ladies (who I nicknamed the Bitches of Eastwick) whipped their heads around to stare daggers at me. I fought for the words to explain that I didn't know what my responsibilities would be but that there was a chance that I would be somehow involved. I then quickly retreated. I attempted to return a half hour later to see how things were going and the Bitches of Eastwick made it very clear that I was not needed nor wanted.

So I did what any normal red blooded American girl would do....I went shopping. The Commercial and Education Expo were down the next hallway from auditions, so I decided to soothe my psyche with the help of Craig Pospisil at the Dramatist Play Service booth. Like last year, DPS was offering scripts for $5.00 and Buy 3 Get 1 Free. I plunked down $30 and got 8 scripts - 6 plays and 2 musicals.
The Rest Of The Night
Colorado
Great Falls
Animals Out Of Paper
The Hallelujah Girls
'Til Beth Do Us Part
Romantic Poetry
Gone Missing
Still in need of retail therapy, I headed to the Samuel French booth and picked up 3 more scripts.
Out Of Sterno
Wedding Belles
Elephant Sighs
At 2pm I started begging Chris to release Ben so he and I could attend Tituss' keynote address. Chris finally acquiesced and by the time Ben and I arrived there was a sea of folks waiting to get in. For the first time ever, I used the power of my purple badge and Ben and I got in early. (SETC Central Staff, Dream Team, Job Squad and Pro Aud Staff have purple name badges which allows unrestricted access.) We did help usher and I worked with the hotel staff to open the airwalls to the adjoining rooms. Luckily Ben and I had saved ourselves seats in the front row; the place was packed!

Tituss was an informative and gracious speaker. While it took some coaxing, he did perform two numbers and was then whisked away by April and Jasmine so he could make his flight home.

No comments: