Monday, July 20, 2009

A Script Report

While talking to a representative from Baker's Plays during SETC's Spring Convention, a woman recommended this play to me. She said it was very funny and perfect for community theatre groups. Leaving Baker's empty handed, I promptly purchased several scripts, including this one, at the Samuel French booth. I just finished it, and I agree with the stranger's recommendation. Messiah on the Frigidaire is a wonderful script.

The role of Lou Ann Hightower really resonated with me. Maybe it was just my mood when reading it, but I could actually feel her struggles with her marriage and attempts to deal with the popularity. The character of Betsy Gridley began somewhat stereotypical, but warmed me by the play's end. The script does have some very funny moments, but it's the honesty of all the characters that makes it work. This is not a show for over-the-top actors. The comedy, and ultimate message, is in the truth.

No comments: