Saturday, July 21, 2007

Gotta Cut Loose!

Mallorie and I worked concessions for The Little Theatre's ACT Quest high school production of Footloose. Working concessions is a very easy way to volunteer, and you get to see the show for free.

I've seen this musical before. Michael Carter and I went in support of Ken, who played Coach Dunbar in CTG's version. As far as musicals go, it's okay. Unfortunately, if you've seen the movie, you've seen the musical, and the movie is much better.

Still, these high school kids must be commended. They did a great job. The funniest part of the production was seeing all these teenagers in 1980's style clothing. Wells Albritton came out wearing a tight (and I mean painted on) pair of pinstriped jeans. I remember wearing that same style when I was in high school.

The only thing that detracted from the production was the sharing of about 5 hand-held microphones by the entire cast. (No, they weren't trying to channel Spring Awakening, they simply didn't have the budget for body mics.) During the first act, the microphones were passed from one to another, often making the actors upstage themselves. In the second act the microphone would appear from the most interesting places, like from the cushion of the sofa chair. It almost became a game for the audience to guess where the microphone would be hidden.

I would like to give a few shout-outs. Three of my students were in this production. Wells was wonderful as Willard. Laura was great in the chorus. I was most impressed with Anne, who was worried about getting the dance numbers. She shouldn't have worried. She did a great job, and I learned she has a really nice singing voice. Lianne was in The Vagina Monologues with me. She was hilarious as Rusty, Ariel's fast talking friend. Kudos to each of you!

Next up for ACT Quest, Once on This Island performed by the middle school campers.

No comments: