Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Auditions, Bug

Well, tonight is the night I've been waiting on for several months. At 7p I will be at SECCA auditioning for the role of Agnes in Winston-Salem Theatre Alliance's upcoming production of Bug. If you've seen the recent movie, Ashely Judd plays the role I am after.

I read the play back in February. The script calls for some nudity (in the movie Ashley was naked in the final scene), drug use and a downward spiral into psychological paranoia. I knew Agnes was one of those roles that would really challenge me as an actress.

I intentionally stayed up late last night, so I'd have circles under my eyes today. I'm not wearing much makeup, I let my hair air dry so it looks unkempt, and I'm wearing oversized jeans with a Wild Child t-shirt. I'm hoping I look a bit "worn".

Update 1:42p - Jere Dailey (who played Maurice in LTWS' Beauty and the Beast) stopped by my office a bit ago. We chatted about his new book. As we were talking, he kept staring at me. He then told me he thought I was beautiful. I started laughing as I thanked him for the comment. I told him about the audition and that I was actually going for the worn look. Jere then asked me how old I was. I told him and he was really shocked. He didn't think I was even 30!
Update 7:35p - I arrived at SECCA at two mintues after 7 and anticipated several folks already there filling out audition cards. I walked in with Don Gunther (who was GW in Sordid Lives). We were the only ones there to audition. Jamie gave us scripts and as Don and I looked over the lines, Kelly Wallace came in.

I knew Kelly was going to audition and I knew she would be my competition. Jamie read both of us, as Agnes, with Don and then had Kelly and I read the Agnes/RC scene. (RC is Agnes' lesbian best friend.) As Kelly and I walked to the stage, she whispered to me that she doesn't want Agnes because of the nudity. Cool with me. I started out reading Agnes to Kelly's RC and then Jamie had us switch the roles. I'll be damned if I didn't give a better reading as RC! I mean I actually felt like RC as I was reading.

Don, Kelly and I were done reading by 7:15p. We hung out in the parking lot chatting for a bit. Another woman, Laurel, pulled in to audition. I believe that she's younger than me, so, I'm not as worried about her for Agnes. And if Kelly really wants RC....And if no one else shows up......

No comments: