Sunday, April 22, 2007

RiverRun: Midnight Shorts

On the way home from Charlotte, I asked Ken if he was up for seeing a midnight showing of several short films at The Garage. He used to go to a lot of the film festivals in New York, so I thought he might like to participate in the RiverRun Film Festival. He was game.

We got to The Garage with plenty of time before the movies. We selected seats in the second row and then we (ok, I) ate popcorn, drank beer and chatted until it was time for the movies.

The first short, Tony vs. Paul, about two guys fighting in stop-motion animation was pretty funny. Ken had seen it before on YouTube. Songbird was ridiculous and gross. One D was about a man and a woman, who live in a one dimensional world, go out to the movies and get attacked by aliens. It was hilarious.

Jane Lloyd was about a woman who grows up and seeks fame and fortune in Hollywood. I thought it was interesting, especially since there was no dialogue. Home Delivery was another animated short. Pregnant lady, zombies. Need I say more? DVD was a Spanish language film. Unfortunately I couldn't read the subtitles. The man sitting in front of me was leaning his arm around his girlfriend.

Dr. Undead's Fright Fest was next, and I was pleasantly surprised that one of my favorite actors, David Joy, was in the film. He played a killer milkman who gets his just desserts. Not only is David nice on the eyes, he's also a very talented actor.

Carlitopolis was just wrong. A funny experiment gone violently bad. Poor little cute furry mouse. The last film, The Caress of the Creature lasted 10 minutes longer than it should have been.

I did have a nice time, and enjoyed most of the shorts. I just wish I had seen them earlier in the day.

No comments: