Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Art for Lunch and the 30 Second Audition

Ken and I had lunch today at the fire station on Marshall Street. Second Harvest Food Bank hosted a fundraising event called "Empty Bowls". For a $25.00 donation, you received soup, salad, dessert, a choice of refreshing beverage and a beautiful piece of pottery. I didn't really care much about the lunch - I was there for the pottery. (Though I did have a wonderful tomato bisque.)

With 6 tables full of various shades, shapes and sizes of "bowls", making a single pottery choice was overwhelming. Some of the pottery was donated by artists from Seagrove and by local "artists" from Winston-Salem Forsyth County Schools and the Sawtooth Center. Luckily I had an idea of what I wanted; a small soup bowl with a handle, kinda like an oversized coffee cup. After checking and re-checking each table I finally settled on a tan bowl with a blue and green glaze on the inside. I can't read the artist's signature on the bottom, but I know it came from Seagrove.

After eating we took some time to look at all the items that were up for bid. I bid on two pieces of pottery and a beautiful, handcrafted adirondack chair and footstool. There was only about 5 minutes left until the bids closed so I'm bound to win one of them.

When I got back to the office, Norman asked me if I wanted to be in a play. I said sure, then asked if I had to audition. He handed me a script and told me the director would be there in less than 10 minutes. A young man entered my office and we chatted briefly while Norman finished a phone call. Then the young man and Norman returned to my desk. I read 5 lines and the young man stopped me and said, "That was wonderful. You are beautiful. You're perfect. Will you do it?" Well, with that kind of flattery, how could I say no?

I'll be working with the young man, Adam Woolley, and 4 other castmates for the New Horizons Staged Reading of The Angels of Lemnos. I wish every audition were that easy!

No comments: