Sunday, April 29, 2007

First Rehearsal, The Angels of Lemnos

My goodness. I am the only non-School of the Arts person involved with this staged reading! Chance is 4th year, Ryan is 1st year, Amanda is 2nd year, Adam is 4th year and Matt is one of the drama teachers. And that's exactly how they introduced themselves. What was I supposed to say? "Hi, I'm Cheryl Ann. I'm 38th year." Needless to say I was a bit intimated.

The rehearsal time was well spent as we read through the script. Except for Chance, we all play multiple parts. Adam stopped us after each new character was introduced and we talked about characterization. Since this is a staged reading, character differences must be made vocally and physically instead of with costumes. I have two speaking roles. My main role is Ellen, Nathan's mother. I love this character; the love she has for her son is very evident. We are combining the doctor and nurse roles so I'll be playing a nurse. There is also a very poignant scene that I'll be doing with Chance.

I actually read the script yesterday and I absolutely love it. It's a very well written play. I really would like to see a full scale production. As we were reading through today, Adam pointed out so much hidden meaning. I am very impressed with this 4th year director.

Despite being the only one not wanting to "act" for my regular paycheck, I am looking forward to working with the NCSA group. There is no way that I will walk away without having learned something.

No comments: