Thursday, April 05, 2007

Don't Miss This!

I've told you once and I'm telling you again. Do not miss The Little Theatre's production of Disney's Beauty and the Beast. There are still tickets available for the remaining weekend. Call to make your reservations or purchase your tickets online. However you do it, just make sure you do it, and do it now!

Ken, Mallorie and I watched the show tonight. Despite Ken's pre-show discussion of how, in his humble opinion, Disney is ruining Broadway, I was giddy with anticipation. I was not let down.

First things first. The set was beautifully designed by Gio, the Technical Director for LTWS. I remember when he presented a model of the set during a staff meeting. I was very impressed with his small scale model. I can't even begin to tell you how impressive the real set is. (Maybe it would help if you knew that a theatre in Albemarle traveled up specifically to see our set? They are renting it for their production in June.) My favorite set piece is Maurice's crazy invention. It actually chops wood!

If you know Emily Mark and if you've been reading her blog, you know what she's been through, both physically and mentally, in bringing Belle to life. She never needed to worry. She was absolutely outstanding. I know that I've gushed about Emily before, but really, it's hard not to. Her song, "A Change in Me" brought tears to my eyes. Those tears resurfaced when Belle was admitting her love during the Beast's death scene. I can assure you that I wasn't the only one searching for Kleenex during those moments. It takes an extremely talented actor to affect an audience that way.

Gray and I have, in a sense, grown up together. I saw many of his productions with LTWS in the late 80's and early 90's. I've seen several of the shows he's done with Theatre Alliance in the last 3 years. I've counted myself very honored to have even shared the stage with him. While I've known Gray was an extremely talented actor, nothing prepared me for his Beast. He was, in a word, awesome.

I was also impressed with Miriam Davie (Babette), Craig Faircloth (Gaston) and Wells Albritton (LeFou). The Barnhardt sisters truly were Silly Girls.

Please, don't miss this show. If you are a parent of small ones, bring them! If you are a parent of grown ones, bring them! Even if you aren't a parent, come anyway. It's a wonderful story, outstanding set and exceptional cast.

No comments: