Sunday, March 08, 2015

Book Review, Scar Girl

I read The Scar Boys because a friend of mine, the drama teacher for Mt. Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, NC was working with his Advance Theatre class on adapting the book for the stage. Len saw the show and provided the cast and crew with advanced copies of Scar Girl. I liked both the book and the show and asked if I could borrow an advanced copy.

First off, the title is misleading. It's not Cheyenne's story, it's all their stories. It's more a sequel of the first book. Cheyenne's arc, which I predicted at the end of The Scar Boys, angered me. I'd have loved for Len to pen a more realistic "resolution" than taking the lazy way out.

The interview concept and format just didn't work. There are interview questions at the beginning of each "part" (i.e. Who do you admire?) then a picture of headphones. The text after the headphones is the contiuing saga of Harry, Richie, Cheyenne and Johnny as told in each point of view, save one. To make sure you know which character is talking, their names preceed their paragraphs. Helpful, yes, but it definitely interrupts the flow of the book.

None of the characters are likeable. Wait. I take that back. Richie is the only likeable character, but he's more of a fringe/comic relief character. We are never really introduced to his story, only how he reacts to Harry's, Cheyenne's and Johnny's arcs.

It doesn't take long to figure out where the story is heading and honestly, I wanted to give up on the book multiple times. I wanted to like this book. Len is such a great guy and The Scar Boys was a good book. But, for me, this book was one big cop-out.

No comments: