Friday, April 08, 2011

Tonight's Feature


Ken and I saw the staged production at The Public Theatre back in 2007. I was so excited to have been so close to Phillip Seymour Hoffman that I could have reached out and touched his arm. I was also thrilled to see Daphne Rubin-Vega on stage. Neither disappointed.

I was initially upset that Raleigh was the closest city showing the movie. I email a/perture cinema and asked if they would consider showing it. Apparently they did, though I was out of town during the short run. Even though the DVD was a high priority on my Amazon (birthday) wish list, once I realized I wasn't going to get it I placed it at the top spot in my Netflix queue.

Mallorie and I watched it tonight. She was slightly bored with it and I was absolutely enthralled. Jack is a very quirky, awkward character and Hoffman's portrayal was spot on. Clyde is Jack's best friend and Ortiz's performance was endearing. The pool scenes were some of my favorite in the movie. Rubin-
Vega's character, Lucy, was appropriately bitchy. Her cut down of Clyde and their marriage is heartbreaking.

I loved the movie as much as I loved the stage production. And even though I've seen the movie, it's still on my Amazon list. Maybe for Mother's Day?

No comments: