Friday, October 09, 2009

Another Evening At The Theatre

Tonight was opening night for Twin City Stage's The Shadow Box. I read the script back in the early 90's, so I was very interested in seeing it. I volunteered to work concessions so I could see the show for free.

I was aware of the trio of terminally ill patient "stories", so I was prepared for a heavier evening. But I was not prepared for some very lackluster performances.

I was most disappointed in the vignette with Brian (Gregg Vogelsmeier), his lover Mark (Mark March) and his floozy ex-wife Beverly (Gesche Metz). All three actors are seasoned players and yet each failed to bring their characters to believable life. March's attempt was honorable, but with nothing much given to him by the other two, all three were simply "acting" on stage.

Joe (Ken Ashford), his wife Maggie (Star Lee) and teenage son Steven (James Kuhn) featured in another vignette. These actors were a mix of seasoned and "green". The success of this story was carried by Ashford. Both Lee and Kuhn had to raise their game to keep up with Ashford's talent.

The most intriguing, and, in my opinion, the most heart wrenching vignette involved Agnes (Miriam Davie) and Felicity (Carole Midura). Felicity is hanging on, waiting for the arrival of her favorite daughter, Claire, who has been sending regular letters. Agnes explains to us that Claire has been dead for many years. We ultimately learn that Agnes has mistakenly created her own prison, as it is she who authors the letters. Midura's Felicity was barely likeable. Not recalling the specifics of the script I caught myself hoping Agnes would do in her mother! I've long admired Davie for her singing talent, and was pleasantly surprised by her acting ability. I know she has been taking acting classes, and her hard work is definitely paying off.

Michael Cristopher's play won a Tony and a Pulitzer. His movie adaptation won a Golden Globe and several Emmy nominations. Unfortunately, for me, Twin City Stage's production did not rise to award level.

No comments: