Monday, December 03, 2007

Auditions, The Foreigner

Today has been circled on my calendar since September. Actually, the 10th was circled on my calendar since that was the original date of auditions. But once I found out they were a week earlier, I made the calendar adjustments. There was no way I was going to miss this audition.

You see, I've wanted to play the role of Catherine ever since Kernersville Little Theatre produced the show, back in 1990. I ran sound (and pyrotechnics) for the production. Each night I sat mesmerized by the actress who brought Catherine to life. The other actors, April (as Betty) and Jeff (as Ellard) in particular, were outstanding. I fell in love with the show. I've seen it at least a half dozen times.

Stan is directing The Little Theatre's production, and you know of my challenge with Stan. I had also heard that Stan wanted to cast Catherine close to the script age. (She's supposed to be 25.) Still, I planned to audition. I had everything to gain and nothing, really to loose.

Auditions were held in the ACT trailers, and a last minute audition outfit change caused me to be a bit late. Ken was already there, as were Ally, Don, Mark, Chad, Jere, and Jean. Ken and Jere read early and left right after. I sat and chatted with Ally, Don and Mark for a bit. Then they read and left. I talked with Chad a bit and then reviewed the side with my scene partner. Finally it was our turn.

We went in, we read the scene, and we left the room. I felt pretty confident in the way I read. As I came out Michael was coming in, so I sat and chatted with him for a bit. Auditions were over by 8:45p and as I was talking with Michael in the parking lot, my phone rang.

I got a callback.

No comments: