Sunday, September 21, 2014

An Afternoon At The Theatre, "Dirty Dancing"

Yesterday Chad and I headed to Durham for the opening show of the new SunTrust Broadway season. I was looking forward to the afternoon for a couple of reasons. As you can see by the photo, our seats are pretty much in the center of the first row of the Grand Tier. No heads to obstruct my view and the legroom is invaluable.

I was also looking forward to seeing Dirty Dancing. I loved the movie and was interested in seeing it staged.

It wasn't the cast. It was the book. The opening number was just...odd. Baby is in her room packing for the summer and then dirty dancing couples appear. Baby is mesmorized by them, walks around them in a dream-like stupor and I'm like WTF? There were several scenes that were just out of place and in no way moved the story along. Some of the projections were okay, some were just laughable.

While I liked it more than Chad did (I'm a sucker for any kind of dancing), we both decided that life is too short to sit through bad theatre. We left at intermission and ate a late lunch at Tyler's Taproom.

This is strike two for Patrick Swayze movies turned into musicals. Should Red Dawn, Roadhouse or Point Break ever be made into musicals, rest assured I'm not going to waste my time.

No comments: