Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Book Report

Before and After. That’s how Rowan Areno sees her life now. Before: she was a normal sixteen-year-old—a little too sheltered by her police officer father and her mother. After: everything she once believed has been destroyed in the wake of a shattering tragedy, and every day is there to be survived.

It's those kinds of teasers that initially hook me. Many times the book doesn't live up to the teaser. This book was an exception. From the first few sentences I was caught and immediately reeled in.

Laura Weiss does a fantastic job in illustrating the desolation of depression and the devastation of subsequent suicide(s). Rarely have I been so attuned to characters in a book. Rowan's spectrum of emotion was so tangible to me there were nights I could not continue reading. I lamented along with Eli, even giving my dog extra petting sessions.

Weiss has created very real, very honest characters. She took her time with their healing and their overall journey. By the end, I was as filled with hope as Rowan and Eli.

No comments: